Halloween Glitter and Glue

Today is supposed to be the next in the Nail-Aween Challenge, I know! But I'm a day behind after being sick this week. I'll be able to catch up this weekend but until then I've swapped today and tomorrow's posts. Tomorrow will definitely be the Nail-Aween nails.


Today's post is another of the unnamed/unbranded polishes in the cute pumpkin bottles. This polish is from the same company who made the awesome pumpkin bottled pink glow-in-the-dark polish I posted to welcome October. After seeing a few of these polishes in action, I think I'm just going to start buying these whenever I see them. They are all so great and cheap too!


Since this is such a glitter-packed polish I decided to try a glue base coat. My polish addicted sister-in-law recommended I check out Pretty Purple Polish's post on glue base coats, and I thought it was an awesome idea. If it could make removing glitter easier I would worship the creator of this idea!! I cleaned out an old polish bottle and filled it with Elmer's glue. If you're going to use an old bottle like I did make sure you clean the bottle thoroughly! I used a lot of nail polish remover and water and more than a few Q-tips before I felt it was clean enough. Wet glue and wet polish are like oil and water! This is one thick coat of glue on my nails with my usual base coat under the glue.


The glue will dry clear and matte on your nails. This is a great picture showing how the glue dries. I'd recommend a second coat of glue, as this will make removing the glitter much easier.


I used three coats of the pumpkin polish. It's black base is packed full of large and small orange hex glitters that look amazing in the sun. They actually look great anywhere but they really grab attention in the sun. This is such a perfect polish for Halloween!


Then came the moment of truth — the removal. Would the glue base coat work for me like it worked for others? Yes, it really did work!! Since I didn't have an orange stick and I didn't want to risk damaging my nails, I soaked my fingers under some hot water to loosen the glue before I began peeling. As you can see, I started at one corner of my nail near the cuticle. It felt really weird to peel my nail polish off, not painful but there was definitely some pulling that could be felt. Some of the polish came off in chunks, I'm guessing where I didn't use enough glue, but most came off in one big, nail shaped piece. I worried that there might be some damage to my nails after all the horror stories of what can happen if you pick at your nail polish, but there was no damage to be seen after clean-up.

Don't be worried about peeling happening while showering, doing dishes, or washing your hands either. Even after soaking my nails, I still had to work to get the polish to peel.

0 comments: